You want to visit the island of Thassos – Greece and need help planning your perfect vacation/holiday/trip? Look no further, I’m here to help you!
Let’s dive into my personal travel guide where you can find tips & tricks on how to get to Thassos Island, what to do once you are there and where to stay.
The Beautiful Island of Thassos – Greece
Located in northern Greece, the Island of Thassos (also named the Emerald Isle for its green vegetation) is, without a doubt, one of the most beautiful islands in Greece and a very popular holiday destination.
Thassos is the northernmost Greek island, located in Kavala Gulf with 8 km separating it from the mainland. The only way to reach it is by ferry boat from Kavala or Keramoti. There is no airport on the island, but there are two airports on the mainland: Kavala International Airport “Alexander the Great” (KVA) – the smaller but the closest one (about 20 minutes drive from the airport to the ferry boat) – and Thessaloniki International Airport “Macedonia” (SKG) – the furthest and the larger one (around two hours drive from the airport to the ferry boat).
Why You Should Visit Thassos
1. For its beautiful landscape
As most Greek islands, Thassos has its share of beautiful sceneries with mountains covered in pine forests that descend directly into the Aegean Sea, sandy beaches and olive plantations.
2. For the Greek beaches with green and blue water
As all the Greek islands, Thassos is also surrounded by beaches with sand or gravel and waters in different shades of blue and green. It even has a natural swimming pool in a rock named Giola.
The most beautiful beaches are:
- Golden Beach – golden sandy beach with lounge chairs and tavernas – is great for families with small children;
- Paradise Beach – golden sandy beach with turquoise water, lounge chairs, 1 or 2 tavernas – also great for families with small children if you go on the right side of the beach because the left side is frequented by nudists;
- Marble or Saliara Beach (recently reopened) – white marble gravel with turquoise waters, lounge chairs, beach bars – recommended to couples and young people;
- Makryammos Beach – sandy beach, lounge chairs, beach bar – also great for families with small children;
- Aliki Beach – sandy beach, lounge chairs, tavernas – great for families with small children;
- Pefkari Beach – sandy and gravel beach, lounge chairs, tavernas, beach bars – great for families with small children;
- Metalia Beach (near an old iron factory) – sandy beach with clear waters, lounge chairs – great for families with small children;
- Potos Beach – sandy beach, lounge chairs, tavernas – great for families with small children;
- Livadi Beach – a secluded sandy and gravel beach, lounge chairs – great for couples and young people;
- Psili Ammos Beach – sandy beach, lounge chairs, tavernas, beach bar – great for families with small children and young people attracted by the parties organized here.
3. For the amazing Mediterranean food and wine
Thassos is an island full of tavernas that serve fresh seafood and fish, greek salads with housemade olive oil, homemade sweets, lemonade made with fresh lemons and honey, wine. Every tavern offers you freshly baked bread with olive oil or butter and cold water for free; some of them even offer you something sweet, like a small piece of cake, a piece of watermelon or some homemade jam at the end of your meal.
4. For the history of the island
Thassos is full of history and myths.
There are archeological sites attesting to its rich and old history. It seems that there was discovered the tomb of Cassius.
It is also said that Thassos was the island of the mythological Sirens that attracted the sailors with their magical singing and then killed them.
5. For its sights
If sightseeing is your passion, you have so many interesting sights to visit:
- The Archaeological Museum of Thassos – you can find it in Limenas, the capital of the Island;
- Polygnotos Vagis Municipal Museum – in Potamia; the museum was established in honor of the great sculptor with the same name;
- Archangel Michael’s Monastery – 25 km south of Limenas; it was built on a rock at the edge of the sea;
- The Old Oil Factory, dating from 1915 – in Panagia; is the only working oil factory in Greece that still uses water to produce olive oil.
Where to stay in Thassos – Greece
*We stayed at Arion Hotel, a very beautiful hotel, next to Golden Beach. We had an amazing view of the sea, we caught the sunrise and the full moon one night. They also have some two rooms apartments (more like bungalows) near the hotel where you can enjoy your stay.
*Another great hotel recommended by some friends is Alexandria Golden Boutique Hotel also right next to Golden Beach. This is a luxury hotel, with private beach, spa and wellness center, massage, fitness center, free Wi-Fi, and parking.
If you want to find out more information about this beautiful island, check out Iuliana’s diary post.
I hope I sparked your curiosity and you will take a chance on the beautiful Island of Thassos – Greece.